Editing the Front Wheel Radius separately in differential drive entity

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Hi,

I would either like to edit the relative sizes of the two front wheels of the differential drive entity, or create a new (custom) differential drive robot which has wheels of differing sizes. I looked at the available documentation, however, I can't seem to figure this out. Is this possible?

Azim.

Mar 29, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Problem solved.

Managed to do this using the undocumented load entity method. I manually edited the xml file which defines one of the custom (either Pioneer 3DX, IRobot etc...) entity robots and looked for the definitions of the wheels so that I could edit it. By doing this I was able to load this new custom built entity.

The reason for doing this is that we can now write calibration procedures (eg UMB-mark test) to automatically correct for problems in our incorrect model in cases such as if we wanted to implement a dead reckoning algorithm.

Comment: SPL is quite a nice, simple to use interface, however, there are some features, such as the load entity method which go undocumented. It is, however, quite powerful as it stands.